Mesania
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Hero's Quest

5 posters

Go down

A Hero's Quest Empty A Hero's Quest

Post  Champagne and Gunsmoke Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:52 pm

The premise:

Queen Alia, tired of the ongoing hostilities between Mesania and Andraste, traveled to the neighboring country to meet with the leaders of its authoritarian government to try and negotiate a peace treaty.

Instead, the Andrasteans betrayed her and took her prisoner, demanding the subjugation of Mesania for her release. Infuriated, King Lionel first moves to declare war, but reconsiders, thinking of what Alia would say. Instead, he calls for volunteers from the Guilds, and offers the reward of nobility to anyone who brings her back alive.

----------

This story will help to define the relationships between the Guilds, and show more of the world. Characters will have to content with each other, with Andrastean society, and with Andrastean technology, which again is quite advanced compared to Mesania.
Champagne and Gunsmoke
Champagne and Gunsmoke
Admin

https://mesania.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

A Hero's Quest Empty Re: A Hero's Quest

Post  Hinote The Blademaster Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:59 pm

Blademaster Hinote is in~
Hinote The Blademaster
Hinote The Blademaster

http://hre.21.forumer.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Seiashi The Ranger Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:45 am

I'm in as well. I do have a question regarding the guilds and the process to get into one.
Seiashi The Ranger
Seiashi The Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post  Champagne and Gunsmoke Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:22 am

Okay now, I've added a bit more to the canon, particularly the part about Andraste. I'm also working out the specifics of Mesania's political system. Here's the Andraste info.

Andraste has an expansive, totalitarian government that strives to control every aspect of its citizens' lives, from the way they dress to what they eat to when they can leave their homes and where they can go. The country has four Bureaus which keep an iron grip on the populace. The Bureau of Information tightly controls the exchange of information throughout the country. It operates the only news outlet and constantly broadcasts propaganda to every radio in the nation. The Bureau of Defense manages all of the nation's military activities, from attacking and defending neighboring nations to quelling civilian uprisings. It has a sub-bureau called the Department of Intelligence which works closely with the Bureau of Information. The Bureau of Justice handles matters of law and order, and oversees the police force. Church of Ascendency is the fourth bureau, though it doesn't make it obvious that it is such. Using the national religion of the country, the Church generates prophecies and coverts Andrastean law into religious scripture. It also brainwashes zealots to be used as fanatical soldiers by the military.

The government keeps its citizens in line by keeping wars ongoing (their expansionist foreign policy, obviously, has dual purpose) and fabricating fantastic lies about the neighboring countries to keep its citizens terrified and positive that only by allowing the government complete control over their lives can it keep them safe. the church keeps them believing that only by perfectly obeying their government can the people reach ascendency when they die. It also maintains a vast rebel network used to route out real radicals, and also to frequently attack civilians, thus giving the government an enemy on the inside to allow its people to feel it is reasonable in controlling their lives. It's all for their own good.

A real rebel movement is in place in Andraste though, largely supported by Sian and to a smaller extent, the Baron of Caul of Mesania.

Caul is the northeastern region of Mesania, ruled by, as stated, a Baron. Again, still working out the specifics of that.
Champagne and Gunsmoke
Champagne and Gunsmoke
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Champagne and Gunsmoke Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:41 am

Okay, Mesania is divided into six regions, three of which are ruled by noble families.

Mesa

The Mesa region is named for the city of Mesa at its center, and is ruled by the royal Archer family, made up of King Lionell Archer and his wife, Alia. They have no children, and there have been stirrings as to who will succeed them when they die. Alia is unable to bear children, and against the advise of his royal advisors, Lionell refuses to father a child by another woman to have a successor. The couple has already said they know who their successor will be, though they won't reveal it yet.

The Archer family is also the de facto rulers of three of the other regions, in the absence of noble lines. The King forcibly stripped the Drake, Velator, and Braun families of their noble ranks for consorting with Andraste, usurping the power of the throne, and attempting to assassinate the King, respectively.

Caul

To the north east is Caul, ruled by the Baron Desmond of Caul. The Baron is a stern, no-nonsense man who ascended to the nobility from the military after leading a very successful campaign against Andraste. Though they didn't hold the territory they claimed, Desmond's troops penetrated deep into Andtraste and sent a clear message that they were not merely the sword-waving primitives that the Andrasteans viewed them as, but rather a strong, serious opponent. Andraste's attacks have changed since then, becoming more careful, but also targeted at more crucial targets, rather than just harassing the border. Consequently, Desmond keeps a close eye on his border and the military contingent under his command are some of the most successful at repelling Andrastean advances. Following the death of his wife, he lives alone in his fortress home near the Andrastean border, which also serves as a command center for border defense and incursions into Andraste.

Great River

Directly north along the border is Great River, ruled by the eccentric Duchess Evelynn Hold, a woman prone to flambouant outfits and lavish parties at her estate in Aquer, next to the river that is the region's namesake, and obsessed with the belief that someone is trying to poison her. Her husband, Zachary, son of the Baron of Caul, married her for her money and noble rank and doesn't share her passion for social gatherings, and both have taken consorts under the understanding that their marriage has no meaning beyond money and politics.

Okay, so, I've got one character now.

Name: Rihuul (Rai-ool)
Height: 6'4"
Weight: 194 lbs.
Appearance: Dark-skinned (black, though that concept is difficult for Mesanians to grasp), tall, and muscular. Has numerous scars over his whole body.
Bio: Rihuul is an adventurer from (undiscovered) far south land of Nolaad (Mesania's Africa), beyond the uncharted wilderness in southern Galatia and the Diamond Sea beyond that, who's come to Mesania seeking a new life. He never says why he left his home, only implies that something terrible happened to either it or to him personally. Though strongly built and very tall, he's soft-spoken and generally even-tempered. Though he can be hard to read and intimidating, anyone who takes the time to get to know him will see that he is actually very friendly, in his own way. He travels by foot, carrying a few changes of clothes, some basic camping and hunting equipment, and a large sword similar to a Scottish Claymore. He prefers to travel light and trade for the majority of his food and amenities, or live off the land when he can't.
He says the double letter in his name is a reward for bravery in battle, and the double letter in his homeland's name signifies that it was founded as a result of war.
Champagne and Gunsmoke
Champagne and Gunsmoke
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Crow Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:31 pm

I'm definitely in! I'll edit this post (Or post again, either way) with a character sheet once I come up with a character.

Name: Alianna of Caul (Ali)
Height: 5'3"
Weight: 125 lbs
Appearance: Pale skinned, long black hair with big, loose curls. Green eyes.
Bio: Ali is the eldest daughter of the Baron of Caul. The Baron wanted boys who would grow up to be soldiers like himself, but was never granted a son before his wife died. Ali's younger sister was his ideal daughter, meek and well mannered like her mother, sure to bring a dowry and strong political ties. Ali, however, did not live up to either expectation that her father had for his children and their relationship was strained even when Ali was a child. Ali was a tomboy as a child, with no desire to learn womanly arts, and her father refused to teach her anything about combat or hunting, things that greatly interested her. The final strain on their relationship came when Ali's magical gift developed at thirteen. The Baron had little patience for magic, and sent her away to learn it and to get her out of his hair while he focused on bringing her little sister up right. Alianna has studied at The University to hone her magical skills, and while there studied many of the other things she was interested in as a child. Archery, hand-to-hand combat, and game hunting. Unfortunately, she was no good with swordcraft, though along the way she picked up an average talent for small blades. She has very recently become a first level spellweaver in the Mage's Guild.
She has something of a short fuse, but is for the most part a kind but opinionated person. She is not shy about taking charge when the situation calls for it, She is typically an upbeat person, though is quick to gripe in unpleasant situations. Her biggest motivation for taking on this quest is to get herself back in her father's good graces. She travels on horseback, her knack with rearing and breeding the animals the one thing her father encouraged her in and shared with her, with her gear in saddle bags. Her clothes are slightly nicer than one would usually take on the road, but still practical, with all the basic camping and hunting gear. Her favored weapon, outside of magic, is a recurve bow.
Crow
Crow

Back to top Go down

Post  Seiashi The Ranger Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:50 am

So before I decide to dive into this. I have a few questions, regarding the guilds.

1.) How would I go about settling my character into one

2.) How do the guilds interact with one another

3.)Since I want to be an archer, is there a limit to how much skill I can possess with a bow(Can I have the potential to be a bow master)?

4.) Do I absolutely NEED to be in the orphanage in order to be a bowman? (Not that I have a problem with it, but I want to know what all of my options are.

Seiashi The Ranger
Seiashi The Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post  Champagne and Gunsmoke Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:42 pm

Seiashi The Ranger wrote:So before I decide to dive into this. I have a few questions, regarding the guilds.

1.) How would I go about settling my character into one

2.) How do the guilds interact with one another

3.)Since I want to be an archer, is there a limit to how much skill I can possess with a bow(Can I have the potential to be a bow master)?

4.) Do I absolutely NEED to be in the orphanage in order to be a bowman? (Not that I have a problem with it, but I want to know what all of my options are.

1 and 4.) To get into a guild, just message the person in charge of the guild you want to join. Or, if you don't to *officially* identify with a guild, and instead just play as a member of it, just say so in your character description. You don't have to be in The Orphanage, most guilds have non-magic/"normal" people for generic soldier and grunt work. The Orphanage is just mostly bowmen and swordsmen. Also, it doesn't necessarily have more bowmen than any other guild, it just has more bow-and swordsmen than it does members of other disciplines.

2.) That's a big part of the purpose of this thread: figuring that out. Since they've been around for so long, the guilds will obviously have some kind of relationship with one another, though what exactly it is isn't clear yet. Of course, the Soldiers of Fortune and The Orphanage fight like cats and dogs, and no one really likes the Black Magic Society, but other than that the relationships haven't really been established.

3.) I suggest reading through Playing the Role in the getting started section for this. Just don't make your character overpowered. Give him realistic handicaps. The measure of a man is not in what he accomplishes, but in how he overcomes adversity.
Champagne and Gunsmoke
Champagne and Gunsmoke
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Seiashi The Ranger Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:17 am

Okay, I think I understand now. So you don't mind if I make a character and hop in do you?
Seiashi The Ranger
Seiashi The Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post  Champagne and Gunsmoke Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:39 am

By all means.
Champagne and Gunsmoke
Champagne and Gunsmoke
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Seiashi The Ranger Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:47 am

((Let me know if there's anything wrong with it and what I need to change. I typed this up really late so I'll be glad to make any changes.))

Name: Arciere "Dead Shot" Furtife
Height: 5'9"
Weight: 153 lbs.
Appearance: Tan-skinned, average height, and well built but not overly muscular. Has a young face and is often times thought to be many years younger than he actually is.
Bio: Arciere is a ranger in the thief guild, who lives in a self-constructed cabin in one of the Forests closest to Mesa. ((Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm assuming that there are still forests around Mesa just none in close proximity)) He spends a lot of his time in his home, but that doesn't keep him from checking in with the guild and interacting with the people in the city. Though he's fairly short he's slightly built thanks to the years he put into his training with the bow. He's an outgoing, friendly person and will carry a conversation with someone who speaks to him first, but he hates to attract attention to himself. He has no problems keeping a secret, and he knows when to stay silent. He’s relatively even tempered and can stay calm under pressure with ease. Overall, due to his nature, he’s approachable but when he needs to be he can become quite serious and in some instances a bit frightening. He travels on horseback the majority of the time and treats his mounts as if they were a part of his family. With him he always carries 2 quivers, one slung across his back and one attached to his saddle, each containing 15 dark brown shafted arrows. Along with that he carries 1 strung longbow, with a 70 lb draw weight, which he keeps slung over his shoulder, 1 unstrung recurve bow, with a 50 lb draw weight, which he keeps in its own bag attached to his saddle, and two bow strings. To complete his inventory he has a double knife sheath, which contains a sturdy dagger and a small strong knife similar to a paring knife, which he uses to throw, a flint stone to light fires, and a variety of dried foods that he can eat enroute to his destinations.

Though he doesn’t mind being called by his full name, he prefers to be addressed as Arc.

Last edited by Seiashi The Ranger on Tue May 01, 2012 11:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Seiashi The Ranger
Seiashi The Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post  Champagne and Gunsmoke Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:46 pm

You can go ahead and jump on in, Seiashi.

Hinote, I'd still like to see a character description from you.
Champagne and Gunsmoke
Champagne and Gunsmoke
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Champagne and Gunsmoke Thu May 03, 2012 6:14 am

Name: Heather McDowell
Height: 5' 1"
Weight: 116 lbs.
Appearance: Light skin, with brown hair and a wiry, lean build. She's mostly muscle and built like a runner or a gymnast, with most of her strength in her arms, shoulders, and legs.

Bio: Heather lives somewhere in Dragon's Keep, though as far as where she's from, that's unclear. She's moved around a lot, and nothing is known about her home town, her family, or anything else really. She's a thief, though she doesn't associate with the Thieve's Guild, despite having a couple of acquaintances there. She's wanted for petty crimes through most of the Southern Highlands, as well as southern Mesa and Caul, indicating that she moves around a lot, or at least used to.

She's wanted for questioning in the death of Sir Calvin Drake, brother of former Viceroy Elliot Drake, as she had a special relationship with the eccentric noble and was, in a strange way, one of his closest friends.
Champagne and Gunsmoke
Champagne and Gunsmoke
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  G Calvin Thu May 10, 2012 2:48 pm

Ok, so I have a question. Does Andraste have guns? I'm trying to think of a character, and I need this answered before I can really get good details.
G Calvin
G Calvin

Back to top Go down

Post  Champagne and Gunsmoke Thu May 10, 2012 5:44 pm

Andraste does have guns, though they're fairly primitive. Most of their technology is of the clockwork and steam varieties, and Andrastean guns, at the very most advanced, are manual revolvers. The vast majority though are still muzzle loaders, and they haven't yet discovered rifling (the process of carving spiral grooves into the gun barrel to put a spin on the bullet, allowing it to be more accurate over longer ranges).

Andraste still relies heavily on blades and explosives.
Champagne and Gunsmoke
Champagne and Gunsmoke
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  G Calvin Sat May 12, 2012 1:45 pm

Name: Feo Theldon
Sex: Male
Height: 5'10"
Weight: 173 lbs

Appearance: Pale skinned to the point of white, almost bald with ears that stick out awkwardly. He wears thick glasses over brown eyes that are usually bloodshot. His arms are pretty muscular, but otherwise he is mostly out of shape.

Bio: Feo was thrown into the position of engineer once he graduated from school. Since then he has remained single, mainly keeping to his lab, trying to keep out of the business of the Bureaus, who seem to enjoy the pastime of harassing him for more advanced technology to the extent of which would be impossible to produce. As he grew older his hair fell out and turned white, and his skin turned white, giving him the nickname 'ghost scientist' from the local children. His primary goal has been creating technology for the Bureau of Defense, to help defend the boarders of the southwest not far from his hometown.
G Calvin
G Calvin

Back to top Go down

Post  G Calvin Mon May 14, 2012 9:33 pm

The City of Gaul

The city of Gaul is a fairly small city of around 10 square miles. I had previously been under the control of Caul, until Andraste invaded and took it and about 15-20 miles of land past. Although it expands over a large amount of space, the buildings are not as tall as buildings found in most Andraste cities, due to its recent overtaking. The streets are cobblestone, and the buildings are either stone or wooden. What it doesn't have in sights and majesty it makes up for in an iron fist of control by the Andraste government. Its primary use for Andraste is to serve as a re-supply re-arm base of operations for the guards of the south-western wall boardering Mesa.
G Calvin
G Calvin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down